On a recent episode about summer, I talked about how I fail over and over again when it comes to having food on hand at home. I’m awful at meal planning and I hate to grocery shop. As a result, we rely on food delivery like Door Dash or fast food. To keep myself accountable, I came up with a list of 10 sandwiches to make at home this summer and everything one needs to have on hand to feed yourself and the people in your house.
Some Grocery Shopping is Involved
You’ve got to have the ingredients on hand to make a sandwich, right? Like I said before, I hate grocery shopping and I certainly don’t want to spend my summer days or weekends roaming the aisles for inspiration.
Megan swears by a grocery pick up and uses Walmart for most of her grocery needs. She orders everything in the app and schedules a pick up, completely eliminating the need to walk down every aisle while mindlessly throwing things into the cart.
If done right, you could probably use some dinner leftovers for sandwiches. But that includes meal planning, and your girl isn’t that organized.
Homemade Sandwich Recipes
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad Sandwich from Project Meal Plan – six ingredients, leftover chicken, could be eaten with or without bread (if you’re living that no carb life). I absolutely see this one in heavy rotation this summer. Make life super easy and grab a cooked rotisserie chicken at the store.
- Turkey with Cranberry from Spend with Pennies – I love the idea of using a variety of sauces, dressings or an aioli to change up a regular turkey sandwich. The cranberry definitely elevates but what about a dollop of hummus, Bitchin’ Sauce, or a homemade honey mustard? Yes, please.
- Dill Pickle Tuna Salad from Iowa Girl Eats – I grew up on tuna salad with chopped sweet pickles. I’ve never tasted a dill pickle tuna salad recipe and I’m intrigued. My favorite bread to eat with tuna is a sweet brown bread or a Hawaiian roll.
- Classic Egg Salad – This was another one we ate with sweet pickles. If you want egg salad but don’t want to wait to boil the eggs, get yourself a DASH Rapid Egg Cooker ($20). My husband uses ours once a week and it never fails.
Sandwiches for a Small Crowd
- Easy Roast Beef Sliders from Yellow Bliss Road – You can’t go wrong with a pack of Hawaiian rolls, sliced roast beef, and cheese. This recipe also includes a garlic butter that sounds incredible.
- Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches from Dinner then Dessert – I wish I knew there was a sheet pan recipe for grilled cheese when I spent an afternoon on vacation making sandwiches to order. These are perfect when you are hosting kids at your house.
Sandwiches without Meat, Veggie Friendly
- Caprese Sandwich (melted or cold) from 40 Aprons – This is my daughter’s favorite sandwich. Layers of mozzarella, tomato, and basil with a drizzle of Trader Joe’s Balsamic Glaze on a crusty baguette. Chef’s kiss.
- Greek Veggie Sandwich (Panera Copycat Recipe) from Keeping the Peas – This sounds so light for a hot summer day! Hummus, cucumbers, feta cheese, roasted red peppers and more. Great for a wrap too.
- Cucumber Sandwich from Eating Well – Cucumber tea sandwiches are my favorite but I’ve never made one at home. Check out the comments on that post too, tons of suggestions on how to switch it up if it sounds too plain for you.
- Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich from Two Peas and Their Pod – Stunning to look at and feel good about getting so many veggies into your diet! This recipes calls for a cream cheese spread which is fine but it might need a dressing.
We’re Your New Best Friends
Hi, we’re Megan and Wendy! Join us every Wednesday for “Approved with Megan and Wendy” – the podcast where we ask each other every week what we’re currently using and loving. Don’t waste any more time or money on products that don’t live up to their promises.
You can also find us on “Girls Gone Hallmark” on Tuesdays and Thursdays where we review new and fan-favorite Hallmark movies and ask the question: Did you see that?
Long Story Short with Megan and Wendy continues on Patreon! New episodes, four times a month, where we cover everyday life, pop culture, and more!