It’s Breast Cancer Awareness month and also the anniversary of when Wendy had breast cancer. Listen in as Megan and Wendy share tried and true tips on how you can help someone going through breast cancer treatment, plus Wendy shares her story and some unqualified advice. But first, how to handle warranted complaints and a teenage topic Wendy is sure to regret this time next year.
Want to talk about something mentioned on the show? Have some thoughts or feedback on something we’ve said? Email the show at email@example.com.
Have You Seen Our Gift Guides?
We recently published 23 holiday gift guides to help navigate your gift-giving list. Everything from the griller, to the wine drinker, the Hallmark movie fan, the Disney lover and more. We were sure to include small retailers as well as big ones – lots of options to choose from.
Shopping is just a click away – 2021 Megan & Wendy Gift Guide Library
One more thing: we’re giving away a VISA gift card and a few fun other goodies. All you have to do is find the scavenger hunt image – you’ll know it when you see it – in one of our 23 gift guides. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us where you found it and what your favorite gift guide is. This will enter you in a chance to win that VISA gift card. Podcast listeners: we talked about how you could get an extra entry in during today’s episode.
Mentioned in Episode 47:
- Supply chain problems in America explained
- Episode 46: Faking It
- 10 Effective Ways to Complain about a Company Online
- Writing helpful Yelp reviews
- Congratulations to the 2021 Iris Award Winners. We weren’t one of them.
- You on Netflix (seasons 1-3 available), starring Penn Badgley
- A Fresh Tart bakery is the same location as Luke’s Diner in Gilmore Girls, in fact a majority of the season was filmed on the WB lot in Los Angeles.
- You can visit the WB backlot, including Luke’s Diner and Love’s bakery A Fresh Tart. See our Gilmore Girls Warner Bros tour here.
- Season 3 also stars Scott Michael Foster who starred in Hallmark Channel’s Love, For Real which we reviewed on our bonus Girls Gone Hallmark episode.
- The Netflix series is based on the books by Caroline Kepnes: You, Hidden Bodies and You Love Me: A You Novel (the last released in April 2021).
- What is HOCO?
- A compilation of Homecoming proposals on YouTube
- Blame “Prom-posals” for HOCO proposals via The Washington Post
- Mentioned during the Approved section of the podcast:
Breast Cancer Ask Me Anything Questions and Mentions
- What is mastitis?
- What is a lumpectomy?
- Breast cancer stages
- How and where breast cancer spreads to in the body
- It’s normal for one breast to make more or less milk than the other
- Breast cancer scars
- What the removal of ovaries is called
- Estrogen fueled breast cancer, estrogen-receptor positive or ER+
- PSA #1: Don’t ask about only having one child
- Benefits of good nutrition for those with cancer
- Benefits of exercise during breast cancer treatment
- Mastectomy vs. lumpectomy
- Screening procedures after lumpectomy and mastectomy (*according to this article, mammograms are not possible after double mastectomies because there is not enough breast tissue to do a mammogram. Additionally, women who have reconstructed breasts do not have to typically have mammograms.)
- Who/why you might need a support system when diagnosed with cancer.
- PSA #2: stay off the internet. You will only find bad stories, worst-case scenarios.
- Tips for using the internet wisely after a cancer diagnosis.
- The question Wendy gets asked most often: how can I help my friend/sister/mom/neighbor who has just been diagnosed?
- Time and attention (not just at the onset of treatment but throughout and at the end as transitioning in a “new normal” can be scary for patients.
- An offer of child care (i.e. babysitting, carpool, after school care, extracurriculars)
- Meals (prepared meals, gift cards for food delivery services – especially during treatment times so that there isn’t added stress to make dinner, feed the family)
- Errands (groceries, dry cleaning, etc. Don’t ask, just offer)
- Housework (offer to come over and pull the trash cans out, walk the dogs, pick up the mail, run a vacuum, etc.)
If you have any other breast cancer questions for Wendy, you can email email@example.com.
Have you gotten your own Megan and Wendy Approved sweatshirt, mug or notebook?