Several years ago, after a long time as a die hard Keurig user, I made the jump to a Nespresso machine. I have never once regretted that decision, but I was a little bit lost at first! Nespresso coffee makers are easy to use, but there are a few things you should know before adding one to your cart.
This post contains affiliate links.
Nespresso Machines: Originaline vs. Vertuoline
The very first thing you should know about Nespresso machines is that ultimately there are two different types, that use entirely different pods.
The Nespresso OriginalLine is, like the name suggests, the original Nespresso machine. It makes espresso and only espresso. It’s a great machine, but it lacks the versatility of the newer Nespressos
Some of the OriginalLine machines come with built in milk frothers, however now that Nespresso has introduced the Aeroccino milk frother, this is a moot point.
The Nespresso VertuoLine is the newer machine. In our opinion, the VertuoLine is the superior Nespresso? Why? Because it can make both coffee and espresso. This gives you much more versatility with your Nespresso machine, and eliminates the need for multiple coffee makers.
Are the pods for the Nespresso OriginaLine and VertuoLine different?
YES. This is very important to note before making a purchase. The pods for each of the two Nespresso styles are different and are not cross compatible.
While the Vertuo machine is more versatile than the Original Nespresso, there are far fewer options for pods.
Where Can I Buy Nespresso Pods
Nespresso OrginalLine Pods can be purchased in many places including your local grocery store. It’s likely your favorite coffee brand makes a pod for the OrginalLine Nespresso machines.
Nespresso VertuoLine Pods at this time are only made by Nespresso and Starbucks.
- Nespresso branded pods can be purchased directly from the Nespresso website or inside a Nespresso store
- Starbucks branded Nespresso pods can be purchased online or in your local grocery store. The Starbucks Nespresso line is very limited compared to the variety of pods that Nespresso offers.
Can I Use My Own Coffee with My Nespresso Machine?
The answer is yes. Kind of.
You will need a Nespresso pod to start with, as they are stamped with a code that tells the machine how to brew the coffee.
You can refill the pod with the coffee of your chose and use one of the following methods of sealing the pod:
- Aluminum foil – a hassle in our opinion
- Pre-cut aluminum foil seals – with nearly 5000 reviews and almost 5 stars, this would be our choice
- A reusable silicone lid – This is the most environmentally friendly choice, but the reviews are mixed.
Which Nespresso Machine is Best?
Personally, I would opt for a VertuoLine machine. I have had a Nespresso Vertuo for several years and I love that I can make both coffee and espresso drinks.
Which Nespresso Vertuo is best?
Personally, I would opt for a Nespresso machine that comes bundled with the Aeroccino frother.
However, if you can’t imagine a scenario in which you would want frothed milk (hot or cold!) with your coffee, then save a few dollars and get the machine by itself.
Can Nespresso Make Iced Coffee?
YES! There are three ways to make iced coffee with your Nespresso.
- Brew a standard coffee pod over ice. This is my least favorite option as it will leave you with a weaker cup of coffee
- Use one of Nespresso’s Brew Over Ice pods. I LOVE the flavor from these. They’re extra strong so that when they’re diluted with ice they are just right!
- Brew an espresso pod (or two) over ice for an Americano or an iced latte.