I recently put on one of my long-time favorite Old Navy tank tops. When I looked in the mirror, I couldn’t help feel unhappy about how my décolleté looked. Sun damage, wrinkles and age are a real b*tch somedays. But tank tops have been part of my daily uniform for years and I’m not ready to live buttoned up. So, I found a different style that works for me today. Here are my go-to high neck tank tops perfect for layering or for warmer days.
I first remember falling in love with the look of a ribbed tank top on a woman. It was the height of “Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica” and Jessica Simpson looked gorgeous in a simple white tank and Levi’s in one episode. That was it and ever since I’ve been buying scoop-neck rib-knit first layer tank tops from Old Navy. Can’t beat that $6 price.
I’ve spent many summers wearing these tanks. For a time, I’d layer two tank tops, or layer the rib-knit with a cami-style tank. Other times, I’d simply wear them under sweaters or my favorite chambray shirt. I have a good stash of white and black tank tops in my drawer at all times.
Well, my wrinkle cream isn’t working fast enough and those deep chest lines staring back in the mirror don’t make me happy. So, I started looking for an alternative to the scoop neck tank. Here’s what I found.
This post contains affiliate links.
High Neck Tank Tops
- VICHYIE Women Tank Tops Summer Sleeveless Basic Cami ($17.99) – I ordered this exact tank top from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. The high neck was what I wanted, the length was what I was used to, and the fabric was lightweight with enough stretch but didn’t get stretched out. The only dislike I have about it is the fit under the armpits. It gaps a lot but it works when I layer it with sweaters or shirts. I’ll probably never wear it by itself.
- Women’s Ribbed Tank Top – A New Day ($8) – This one can be picked up on your next Target run. The price is right, the rib-knit give texture but is soft. Some reviews on the Target website say that it runs small and is see-through. But there are also a ton of reviews from people who love it. Worth checking it out plus it comes in a bunch of colors.
- Nine West Essential High Neck Tank ($11.99) – While this one isn’t a rib-knit, it is made of rayon and spandex which will give it some stretch. This comes in several colors and patterns which makes it a great candidate to wear with shorts and pants, instead of layering.
- Richer Poorer Easy Tank Top ($34) – I absolutely love the crewneck style on this tank top from Nordstrom. It’s cotton blend is similar to a t-shirt and I’m all about that comfort. Comes in three colors.
Dressier High Neck Tank Tops
- Wearever Layering Tank from J Jill ($49) – If you want to elevate your tank top look, these beautiful crewneck, wrinkle-free tanks skim the body. Comes in a variety of colors and is made of 95% rayon.
- Crew Neck Hi-Low Tank Top ($9.97) – These are extremely affordable from the Halogen brand at Nordstrom Rack. This can go both casual and dressed up with its fancy little cut out on the back. Comes in four different colors.
Women’s Satin Racer Tank Top – A New Day ($18) – This pretty racer tank can be dressed up or down. Perfect to layer under a blazer or with jeans and heels for a night out. Comes in a few different colors.
Athletic Crew Neck Tank Tops
- Breath ON Mesh-Racerback Tank Top ($15) – While this Old Navy tank top is geared for workout wear, it could totally be worn casually. It has a crew neck style, breathable and moisture-wicking. This seems like a perfect hot summer day choice. Comes in a ton of colors and patterns at various prices.
Get Dressed Listening to Us
Are you looking for a podcast hosted by relatable, likable women who are funny and real? Come listen to ours! We’re Megan and Wendy and we host Long Story Short: The Podcast. We are real-life friends, moms of tweens/teens, re-discovering things that make us happy as we move into a very different phase of life.
Subscribe today for new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday. Available everywhere podcasts are available.
Looking for some cute shorts to pair with our go-to high neck tank tops? See the shorts we’re loving by clicking the link below.