I’ve had short and shorter hair for more than ten years now. Much of the same style just varying lengths. At its shortest, I was able to get away with a quick blow dry. But now as I’m letting it grow out a little after a disastrous decision to cut it really short again, I’ve found some hairstyling tools and products that have given me a short-hair look I’m happy with. So, today I’m sharing my very favorite tools and products for short hair. Plus, a walk down memory lane with my real-life short hair looks.
Favorite Heat Styling Tools for Short Hair
Like I said above, I used to get away with just a blow dryer and my hands when my hair was at its shortest. But at any length beyond a pixie cut, I use heat styling tools on the daily. My hair is wavy and definitely doesn’t dry great naturally.
Here is a list of my favorites and what I like about them (affiliate links).
- INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR 1875 Watt Salon Performance ($34.99) – I always use the concentrated cap attachment to help give the root a little lift. The other thing I like is that the ceramic technology helps fight frizz and while I don’t understand the science behind it, I will say that I can blow and go with no additional heat to calm things down.
- REVLON One-Step Hair Dryer And Volumizer Hot Air Brush ($59.99) – This is a long-time favorite for both Megan and I. Though the hair dryer/hot brush combo only works well on me when my short hair is at its longest. Otherwise it’s too short for the big brush to make it bend and it ends up stick straight. Watch Megan’s tutorial on how to use the Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer on long hair (141K views!).
- CONAIR Double Ceramic Flat Iron, 1 inch ($19.99) – This flat iron is probably the greatest and most affordable flat iron on the market coming in under $20. It heats up fast, the ceramic coated plates helps keep frizz at bay and boosts shine. And, you can use it to straighten or create beach waves. Love this flat iron!
- L’Ange Hair Le Vite Hair Straightening Brush ($69) – Instagram got me with this product because so many influencers talk about it. But let me tell you, this straightening brush works like a dream. So much faster and smoother than my favorite flat iron. My daughter uses this too on her long hair and it works beautifully on her curtain bangs for the perfect swoop.
- INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Rose Gold Titanium 1 1/4-Inch Curling Iron ($18.96) – I’ve found that a 1 1/4-inch curling iron is that sweet spot size for short hair. Plus, it has a full clamp which is great because it’s almost impossible to wrap short hair around the barrel of a curling iron.
Go-To Hair Brushes for Short Hair
Hair brushes are so personal. I used the same round hair brush for nearly 20 years because I loved the bristles. Sadly, it broke one morning when I dropped it. I definitely got my money worth out of that brush. Also, I’m very sensitive to the weight of a hair brush (especially when using it to blow dry) and the bristles can’t be too sharp on my tender head.
If you’re wondering what size round brush is best for short hair, consider the length of your hair. A 1.5-inch barrel round brush is best for blowdrying and styling shorter hair styles while a 2 – 2.5 inch barrel is better for longer short-hair styles.
- Wet Brush Volume & Body Round Brush – for Fine to Medium Hair ($16.99) – You can’t go wrong with the Wet Brush brand. While this brush is in my regular rotation, I don’t always grab for it because of its weight (0.51 pounds). But, it glides through wet hair and gives a beautiful smooth result.
- FIXBODY Boar Bristles Round Hair Brush ($13.99) – This is a lightweight round brush with natural boar bristles which claim to help promote hair growth. I find the bristles somewhat sharp but its “nano ionic technology” helps reduce fizz and leaves my strands smooth after drying.
- Wet Brush Pro Detangler Brush Shine Enhancer ($14.99) – Big fan of Wet Brush. This is just a great, soft bristle brush for brushing out wet or dry hair.
Short Hair Styling Products in my Bathroom
My short hair is fine and I can’t let it go totally naked otherwise it ends up hanging in my face or my natural waves kick in. These are the styling products I currently use and don’t see changing out anytime soon.
- Redken One United Multi-Benefit Treatment Spray ($25) – This is a professional grade product that I use first before anything else. It helps with hair breakage, primes for heat styling and is safe for color-treated hair.
- R+Co Rodeo Star Thickening Foam ($32) – Great mousse that gives lift and adds density without being sticky. I’ve been using this for years! Another item I love and use alone or in combination depending on my mood is the R+Co Dallas Thickening Spray ($29) which gives major volume.
- SexyHair Big Powder Play Volumizing & Texturizing Powder ($18.95) – I was turned onto this magic in a bottle many years ago. It’s a translucent powder that liquifies when applied to the hair root and gives crazy texture and fullness like no other product I’ve ever used.
- Redken Triple Take 32 Extreme High-Hold Hairspray ($24) – This hairspray smells so good and a little goes a long way but it doesn’t leave your hair sticky or crispy.
Beauty Recommendations Galore
Read on for a few of our favorite posts!
Talk Beauty and More with Megan and Wendy
We’re Your New Best Friends
Hi, we’re Megan and Wendy! Join us every Wednesday for “Approved with Megan and Wendy” – the podcast where we ask each other every week what we’re currently using and loving. Don’t waste any more time or money on products that don’t live up to their promises.
You can also find us on “Girls Gone Hallmark” on Tuesdays and Thursdays where we review new and fan-favorite Hallmark movies and ask the question: Did you see that?
Long Story Short with Megan and Wendy continues on Patreon! New episodes, four times a month, where we cover everyday life, pop culture, and more!