We’re in that sweet spot of the holiday season where many people – including me- are still throwing caution to the wind when it comes to food choices. While I am looking forward to all the “new year, new beginnings” BS the calendar brings, I’m also still leaning hard into enjoying everything without a second thought. Today we’re sharing a round up of our favorite comfort foods for cold days.
Five Favorite Comfort Meals for Dinner
- Chicken and Dumplings – this is an all-time favorite comfort food meals of mine. So much so that it has often been requested on birthdays. This chicken and dumplings recipe from The Novice Chef is super easy and quick – especially because it calls for cooked chicken (yes, grab a rotisserie chicken or packed shredded chicken from the deli section at the store). For the dumplings, I always use Bisquick. It’s easy never fails, and always tastes good.
- Lasagna – somewhat labor intensive, lasagna is always a hit in our home. With the three of us, I usually make a small 9×9 pan which leaves just enough for lunch the next day. I absolutely love Valerie Bertinelli’s “My Mom’s Lasagna” recipe. I started making this particular recipe earlier this year when I volunteered with Lasagna Love (an organization that helps feed families with food insecurities in your local area). The combination of ground beef and hot Italian sausage is simply perfection.
- Crockpot Ranch Chicken from Stockpiling Moms – the crockpot does all the work in this easy, three-ingredient dinner. In addition, I’ll make some bow-tie pasta or white rice to add to the meal because the gravy is just so delicious. Or better yet, some Pillsbury crescent rolls.
- Mac and Cheese – During the early days of the pandemic, I started making this macaroni and cheese casserole dish from Spruce Eats that became a quick family favorite. What I like best is that you don’t have to make a separate cheese sauce. 10 minutes to prep, 40 to bake and dinner is served.
- 30 Minute Broccoli Cheese Soup – Soup is perfect for any cold or rainy night. I get so lazy sometimes that I will just buy a container of soup from my grocer’s deli department but with a little bit more time, this quick broccoli cheddar soup from Gimme Delicious is so good and can be frozen for future cold nights.
What are your favorite comfort foods for cold days?
Want to Listen to Our Podcast?
Are you looking for a podcast hosted by relatable, likable women who are funny and real? Come listen to ours! We’re Megan and Wendy and we host Long Story Short: The Podcast. We are real-life friends, moms of tweens/teens, re-discovering things that make us happy as we move into a very different phase of life. Subscribe today for new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday. Available everywhere podcasts are available.