Let me tell you a story: California girl books ticket to New York City during the month of December and immediately starts panic shopping for boots. Not just any boots. She needed cold weather boots for walking, boots that will keep her feet warm and dry, boots that can handle rain or snow, but also comfortable enough for her old lady feet.
I didn’t know what kind of weather to expect from New York. I envisioned trudging through knee-high snow or dealing with record rainfall. Alas, Megan assured me that snow would be shoveled and all I needed was a comfy pair of warm, waterproof boots.
Comfortable Winter Boots for Walking Miles
While I knew I needed a warm and waterproof boot, I also needed something comfortable. I’ve been struggling with Plantar Fasciitis pain and was afraid that an unsupportive shoe would leave me in more pain after walking the length of the city.
I tried on so many pairs of winter boots before landing on the perfect sneaker boot that allowed me to walk over ten miles each day we were in New York.
This post contains affiliate links.
Spotted during a trip to Nordstrom Rack, the Weekend Mid Cozy Sneaker Boot from Dr Scholl’s ($95) ended up being the perfect cold weather boot for walking. The steel grey color was just what I wanted, with its cozy faux shearling and grippy tread on the sole would end up being the shoe I grabbed for every day of our trip.
And when I say that these were comfortable, I mean it. The cushioned footbed was so supportive that I didn’t even need to use the extra insoles I had brought with me. This was a 5-STAR shoe for me.
The pricing for the Weekend Mid Cozy Sneaker Boot varies.
- Macy’s sells them for $56.09 and has the most sizes available
- Very limited sizes available from Zappos but are a steal at $37.99
- Dr Scholl’s has a few sizes available at the high price point of $94.99
Cold Weather Booties That Didn’t Work
Here is what I tried and sent back:
- SOREL Explorer II Carnival Cozy ($139) – These were so adorable and toasty warm. I loved the grey suede and thought they were lightweight and stylish. I sent them back because these particular SOREL boots run small and even though I sized up 1/2 a size, the toe box was too narrow and the heel didn’t fit right. I even sized up one whole size in hopes these boots would fit better and they didn’t.
- Easy Spirit Elk ($109) – I didn’t love the color of these Easy Spirit boots. I really wanted a neutral grey color but was feeling desperate for comfort and that’s why I purchased these. The Easy Spirit Elk boots were definitely more comfortable than the SOREL but lacked the style I wished for.
- Cougar Devon Waterproof Slip-On Bootie ($120) – These slip-on booties checked the stylish box but seriously lacked comfort. They were so extraordinarily stiff that I sent them back without giving them another thought.
No snow fell during our time in New York so I can’t say for sure how the Weekend Mid Cozy Sneaker Boot holds up. But, it did rain and my feet stayed toasty warm and dry but most importantly – for me – comfortable.
Try Long Story Short Podcast on for Size
Are you looking for a podcast hosted by relatable, likable women who are funny and real? Come listen to ours! We’re Megan and Wendy and we host Long Story Short: The Podcast. We are real-life friends, moms of tweens/teens, re-discovering things that make us happy as we move into a very different phase of life. Subscribe today for new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday. Available everywhere podcasts are available.