Hi, I’m Wendy. I am a thirteen-year breast cancer survivor. I’m sharing what I consider to be the very best beauty products for breast cancer patients available today. This list includes products for scalp and hair stimulation, skin care, cosmetics that are affordable and accessible for those going through treatment and post treatment. This post has been updated for 2022.
This post contains affiliate links which means we receive a small commission when you click them.
What Helps Hair Growth After Chemo
Cold capping wasn’t as popular in 2008 as it is today. When I go in for my yearly oncologist visits, the waiting room is bustling with ice chests.
I lost all my hair from chemotherapy, including eyelashes, eyebrows and just about everything else. It was a real bummer. Here are some of the items I used to help with hair growth after chemo, plus a few new things I wish were available.
- Kiehl’s Magic Elixir Scalp and Hair Oil Treatment ($22) – this helped so much with my itchy scalp. Free from fragrance and dyes and the rosemary leaf oil is known for its invigorating properties.
- Nioxin 3-Part System ($45) – includes a cleanser, conditioner and scalp treatment.
- hers Triple Threat System Total Hair Package ($40) – includes 2% Minoxidil, shampoo, conditioner, and Biotin gummy supplements.
- Nutrafol Hair Growth Nutraceutical ($79) – this is a supplement taken daily to help with hair regrowth, made with natural, medical grade ingredients and is clinically proven to see results in as early as 3 months.
- FasciaBlaster FaceBlaster by Ashley Black ($65) – this is a tool designed for loosening fascia but there is some research that indicates these tools can help blood flow which then helps hair regrowth. Read more about fasciablasting effects on hair here.
How Long After Chemo Does it Take for Eyelashes to Grow Back?
Eyelashes can take up to a year to fully grow back after chemotherapy treatment. I had a few lashes hang on but for the most part they fell out. Latisse was the only product in the lash regrowth game for a long time but there are many affordable options available today.
- Clinique High Impact Lash Amplifying Serum ($49) – this product has great reviews and claims to 97% of people who used it saw longer, thicker and darker lashes in just 12 weeks.
- Babe Lash Essential Lash Serum ($65) – apply serum to lash line nightly, can be used on eyebrows too.
Fiber mascaras are great for giving lashes a longer and fuller appearance. Here are a few of my go-to favorites.
- L’Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes ($11)
- It Cosmetics Tightline Lash Defining and Lengthening Black Mascara Primer ($26) – the skinny wand is key and the formula is infused with Biotin.
- Hourglass Unlocked Instant Extensions Lengthening Mascara ($29)
Best Eyebrow Kit for Chemo Patients
They say that eyebrows are the frame of the face and it’s true. I recently got my eyebrows microbladed and I’ve never been happier with how they look. During chemo, my eyebrows stayed mostly intact but were very sparse. I used a now discontinued product from Smashbox that was a duo of powder and wax that stayed all day.
- It Cosmetics Brow Power Filler Volumizing Tinted Fiber Eyebrow Gel ($25)
- Smashbox Waterproof Brow Tech To Go Pencil and Gel Brush ($28)
- MadLuvv 1-Step Brow Stamp and Shaping Kit ($43) – this is a stencil kit and powder brow stamp that can be used to create a natural looking eyebrow.
Skin Care Products for Chemo Patients
The skin on my face was dull and drab during chemotherapy. First and foremost, you must stay hydrated. And I know that even water can taste weird during treatment, but make sure you’re drinking more than enough. Here’s what else will help your skin glow.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate ($52) – this will boost essential moisture to restore the appearance of tired looking skin while you sleep.
- Rare Beauty Illuminating Primer ($26) – a weight-less, silicone-free primer that will give you a radiant finish.
- First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Brightening Eye Cream ($36) – one of my favorite eye brightening creams that has niacinamide that will hydrate and brighten dark circles.
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask ($22) – comes in a variety of scents, hydrating with vitamin C and hyaluronic acid. I use this during the day, too.
Can You Wear Makeup During Chemotherapy?
Yes, yes, yes – you can definitely wear makeup while undergoing chemotherapy treatment. I know there were days I wanted to lay on the couch and watch a marathon of reality TV. But, there were also days where I needed to function like a human being and I wanted to feel pretty and put together.
Here are the cosmetics I think will make you feel just like that:
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation ($11) – this is a medium coverage foundation for a glowy finish.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder ($39) – comes in matte and radiant finishes.
- Wet n Wild Color Icon Ombre Blush ($5) – affordable, go-to blush that gives the most perfect pop of color.
- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil All in One Eyeshadow Pencil ($6) – available in a variety of shades and affordable enough to play around with.
- Tarte Marajuca Juicy Lip Balm ($21) – beautiful balm to juice up your lips, comes in a variety of shades.
Skin Care Tips During Radiation Treatment
After chemo, I did weeks of radiation treatment that did a number on my skin. Here are my top skin care tips during radiation treatment.
- Slather aloe vera on immediately after treatment. I would do this in the dressing room before getting dressed, do not wait until you get home. Throw on a clean crew neck or v-neck t-shirt over and go.
- Always protect your skin with a great SPF.
Chemotherapy and radiation treatments can be scary and awful but they are temporary. Your hair will grow back, your skin will glow again and everything will be back to normal before you know it.
Spend Your Treatment Days with Us
We’re Your New Best Friends
Hi, we’re Megan and Wendy! Join us every Wednesday for “Approved with Megan and Wendy” – the podcast where we ask each other every week what we’re currently using and loving. Don’t waste any more time or money on products that don’t live up to their promises.
You can also find us on “Girls Gone Hallmark” on Tuesdays and Thursdays where we review new and fan-favorite Hallmark movies and ask the question: Did you see that?
Long Story Short with Megan and Wendy continues on Patreon! New episodes, four times a month, where we cover everyday life, pop culture, and more!