Want to carve out more time this summer? Today we’re sharing how to have more summer fun and avoid summer errands by stocking up on these items.
Everyone looks forward to summer time at my home because of the loose schedules and long days. I also want to partake in the summertime fun but I know that life doesn’t just stop during the months of June through September. Meals need to be made, toilet paper needs to be restocked, and laundry needs to be done.
Time Saving Summertime Hack
I can’t remember exactly how this time saving hack came to us.
I think Megan and I were talking about how to better enjoy the holiday season on our podcast. We concluded that by eliminating the extra time spent running errands to replenish the things we need for our homes that we might actually get to enjoy what the season might bring.
This idea works with summertime, too.
Summer Stock Up
At my home, I am always buying laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, toilet paper, paper towels, dog food, paper plates, sodas and other drinks, over-the-counter medications, dry snacks, and protein bars.
I’d be in heaven if I could figure out our consumption rate of these items and stock up only twice a year. On the other hand, I don’t hate the occasional trip to Target either.
But during the summer, I don’t want to have to have to run errands. I want to have a loose schedule with the option of saying yes to an impromptu beach day or some other activity.
You Can Start Stocking Up Now
It’s still a few weeks until school is out but your summer stock up should be happening now – budget allowing, of course. Grab an extra of any item you know you might return for in the next three months. If that kind of relaxed approach works for you – GREAT.
My approach to a summer stock up is a little more detailed. I have a free printable if you want to borrow my personal list (plus we’ve included a blank list).
Steps to Figuring Out What You Need
- First, make a HUGE list of the things your family uses on the regular.
- Next, take inventory of what you already have. This is a key step because you don’t want to buy extra of something you already have plenty of. For me, it’s sandwich bags. Does anyone need any because I have a ridiculous amount of extras because I didn’t take inventory.
- Research prices. Does Target, Costco or Walmart have a better deal than Amazon? This can be a tedious task but don’t overspend when you don’t need to.
- If you’re a real deal hunter, consider researching the bargains by month. For example, tons of paper goods go on sale after Memorial Day. If you need paper goods and can push your stock up day until then, go for it.
- Can you automate shipping of your needs? For example, instead of running an errand to the pet store, I use Chewy’s auto-ship for dog food and this way I know I’ll never run out or have to miss out on something fun because the dog needs to eat.
- Make space. I don’t have a chest freezer or any extra refrigeration space, so I know I won’t be stocking up on frozen or fresh foods. It’s just not possible at my house.
- Create extra storage space in your garage or cabinets for paper goods, sodas/drinks, dog food, etc. You don’t want to stock up and then have no where to put it.
- Plan a summer stock up day and hit all the stores you need to on this day. Get ‘er done.
If you don’t have time for creating your own list and taking inventory, we’re here to help a girl out. Check out our Amazon storefront for all your summertime stock up needs.
We’re Your New Best Friends
Hi, we’re Megan and Wendy! Join us every Wednesday for “Approved with Megan and Wendy” – the podcast where we ask each other every week what we’re currently using and loving. Don’t waste any more time or money on products that don’t live up to their promises.
You can also find us on “Girls Gone Hallmark” on Tuesdays and Thursdays where we review new and fan-favorite Hallmark movies and ask the question: Did you see that?
Long Story Short with Megan and Wendy continues on Patreon! New episodes, four times a month, where we cover everyday life, pop culture, and more!