When my daughter started middle school, one of her teachers explained to parents at back-to-school night that when kids reach her 5th period class they are usually starving. The problems is that there is too much socializing and too little time to eat during lunch break. By the time kids get home, they are downright hangry. Here’s my growing list of after school snacks for hungry kids.
My teenager often gets in the car after school feeling moody and tired. I just know it’s because she’s not eating enough throughout the day. I try sending her to school with a good breakfast and something she wants to eat during lunch but it’s never enough to sustain her all day.
This is not a new development. When she was much younger, I’d greet her at school pick up with this drink/snack combo cup and it would immediately satisfy her. These days, she needs something far more substantial as she won’t make it to dinnertime with the after school demands of homework, social calendar, youth group or sports.
Favorite Fruit Snacks for After School
- Strawberry and Peanut Butter Quesadillas from Texanerin Baking
- Apple Sandwiches from Thrifty Jinxy
- Apple Nachos from Made to Be a Momma
- Watermelon Pizza from Yummly
- Apple Donuts from Laura Fuentes
- Jerky, Cracker, Cheese board from Laura Fuentes
- Peanut Butter Fruit Dip from Cooking Classy
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Bark from Hello, Wonderful
- Creamy Orange Fruit Dip from Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart
- Mini Banana Oatmeal Cups
Favorite Trader Joe’s After School Snacks
- Trader Joe’s Strawberry Yogurt Squishers
- Clif Kid Organic Z Bar
- Trader Joe’s Silver Dollar Pancakes
- Trader Joe’s Tortilla Chips, Cheese and Beans
- TJ’s Frozen Naan Bread with Hummus
- Trader Joe’s Joe’s O’s Cereal
- Trader Joe’s Turkey Corn Dogs
- Dried Fruit and Nuts
- Cottage Cheese and Fruit
- Trader Joe’s ABC Bars
- Chunky Guacamole and quesadillas
- Greek Yogurt with Almond Butter Granola
Buy This: For the BEST brownies ever – Baker’s Edge Edge Brownie Pan (pictured above). Every brownie has a chewy edge!
Homemade Snacks Kids Can Make
- After School Snack Mix from Life Made Simple
- Easy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Mini Pizza Bagels from Mother of Everything
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Pull Apart Bread from Hello, Yummy
- Crescent Pizza Rolls from The Food Cafe
- Pizza Bread from Mother of Everything
- Ham and Cheese Crescent Rolls from Recipes Simple
- Copy Cat Taco Bell Bean and Cheese Burrito from The Measured Mom
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Energy Bites from Life Made Simple
- Pigs in a Blanket from Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart
- Cheese Snack Board from Lauren’s Latest
- BBQ Chicken Pinwheels from Parents.com
- Yogurt Parfaits from Maria Ushakova
- Sweet Tortilla Wrap
- Mac & Cheese (we love the Panera brand from Costco)
What are your favorite after school snacks for hungry kids? Jump into our Facebook group and let’s chat about it!
Here are my thoughts on after school snacks: they don’t have to be perfect or perfectly healthy. I used to come home and eat microwaved taquitos and drink grape soda while watching Pauly Shore and I came out just fine. Your kids will too.
Talk Back to School and More with Megan and Wendy
We’re Your New Best Friends
Hi, we’re Megan and Wendy! Join us every Wednesday for “Approved with Megan and Wendy” – the podcast where we ask each other every week what we’re currently using and loving. Don’t waste any more time or money on products that don’t live up to their promises.
You can also find us on “Girls Gone Hallmark” on Tuesdays and Thursdays where we review new and fan-favorite Hallmark movies and ask the question: Did you see that?
Long Story Short with Megan and Wendy continues on Patreon! New episodes, four times a month, where we cover everyday life, pop culture, and more!