Lately, I’ve been dedicated to using my go-to lipstick and lip gloss products instead of purchasing every new release, even if it’s a budget-friendly drugstore option. My aim is to finish the products I already have. Nonetheless, with the arrival of the new season, I’ve been inclined to explore and discover a new, affordable lipstick for fall. This post has been updated for 2023.
Drugstore makeup has always been a popular choice for those who are looking for affordable yet quality products. The appeal of drugstore makeup lies in its affordability and accessibility, making it a go-to option for those who are on a budget. Last week, I finally gave in to the drugstore appeal and purchased three new lip colors.
It is clear that I have a personal preference when it comes to lip colors but you’ll also see that these lip products are all fairly different in their application and finish.
This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Lip Oil from the Drugstore
Affordable lip oils have finally arrived at the drugstore. The popularity of high-end lip oils from Dior and Rare Beauty have pushed brands to make budget-friendly options. Here’s one of our favorites:
- The NYX Fat Oil Lip Drip Lip ($9) is a stand out favorite. Budget-friendly brand NYX definitely has its winners and losers (as do all brands, let’s be honest). The downside: this one is hard to find in stores since blowing up on TikTok.
- Milani Fruit Fetish Lip Oils ($8) – Milani is a great drugstore brand. Instant hydration and a glossy shine in four fruity flavors.
I wasn’t sure what to expect from a lip oil but this is basically a lightweight, non-sticky gloss with a sheer, beautiful wash of color. For me this is an all-day-every-day product, as I don’t typically opt for a bold lip.
As with many glosses, lip oils don’t have a ton of staying power. But, I didn’t mind reapplying as it feels so moisturizing when it goes on.
Lip Stains for 2023
Benefit’s Benetint ($21) reigned supreme for years if you wanted berry-stained lips. There are several affordable lip stains available and they’ve come a long way since the early 2000s. Here’s what we like:
- e.l.f Glossy Lip Stain ($6) – these are tiny, only 0.1 oz but a little goes a long way. It also comes in 8 different shades!
- L’Oreal Paris Rouge Signature Lip Stain ($5) – I hate a matte lip but this gets a pass because it is not a true matte, even though the application might make it feel like one.
Comfortable Matte Lipstick You Must Try from the Drugstore
I love a lipstick in crayon form. When they first hit the market a few years ago I was sold simply on the look of them and have owned many, although typically in a sheer or glossy formula.
The Maybelline SuperStay Ink Crayon ($9) is a full-pigment matte lip color. As much as matte isn’t my first choice, this is a wearable, comfortable formula.
Related Video: First Impressions of Liquid Matte Lipsticks
Can’t Get Enough Lip Balm Gloss
Tarte’s Maracuja Juicy Lip Balms are like no other (hot tip: get great deals on this product on QVC). But thankfully affordable brands have flooded the drugstore with equally impressive lip balm glosses. Here’s what we like:
- Revlon Kiss Lip Balm ($4.59) – These have been around for several years and can be hard to find in store. Solid product and super affordable.
- e.l.f. Hydrating Core Lip Shine Makeup ($7) – Sheer color with soft shine.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Gloss and Glow Glossy Balm ($14/2) – Lightweight, not sticky.
Beauty Favorites We Can’t Stop Talking About
We’re Your New Best Friends
Hi, we’re Megan and Wendy! Join us every Wednesday for “Approved with Megan and Wendy” – the podcast where we ask each other every week what we’re currently using and loving. Don’t waste any more time or money on products that don’t live up to their promises.
You can also find us on “Girls Gone Hallmark” on Tuesdays and Thursdays where we review new and fan-favorite Hallmark movies and ask the question: Did you see that?
Long Story Short with Megan and Wendy continues on Patreon! New episodes, four times a month, where we cover everyday life, pop culture, and more!